A bit of a longer blog/showcase post here covering my very poor recreation of Gandalfs Staff.

When making something like a prop you generally have two options. The first, for many, is no option unless you have some design skills. That is to model it yourself. Some of my props in the store HAVE been modelled by myself and are available to purchase to print yourself DIGITAL DOWNLOADS. However oftem option 2 is far easier. Use work already done by someone else.

slic3riffic
The print bed software

The 3D printing community is full of fantastic people that will quite happily share what they produce, normally this is via Thingiverse which is a truly massive repository of models and designs provided by Makerbot. The files are free but often come with the provision that you may not sell them commercially, either the file OR the models made from them.  Sometimes the maker will allow it if you contact them but if the item if tagged non-commercial it is often a personal use project only. I always use the mentality that if money can be made from my work feel free.

ALL of my thingiverse items are free for any use however I do keep the best to sell here. You can see my stuff HERE.

Don't mind the spooky doll.
Customers print in progress

My first port of call is thingiverse to see if a wizards staff has already been made. I settled on this excellent work by jamundsen which, with a little work, can be adapted to fit my needs.

Incidentally this staff is available to sell. However the sheer logistics of posting a six-foot staff pretty much preclude it.

The model presents two issues to me. Firstly I intended to put it onto a standard broom handle. This means I need to carve a socket, however the model is too small and the socket eclipses the design!

Using Fusion 360I scaled it up to around 115% and this allowed me to carve a socket that would accept the broomstick.

printing the top
Printing the top

My second problem, was that the top of the staff was too big to fit on my print bed. I cut it in two using my slicer software (this generates the commands for the printer to use).

So with the model printed at 115% scale it was assembled using the method of acetone welding. As the head was printed in ABS plastic this meant i could dissolve it in acetone and literally melt the parts together. I them made up some acetone ABS slurry to fill the cracks that were present.

Fitting the head to the pole with Superglue resulted in a critical fail (it fell off!) so I upgraded to a two part epoxy.

Lots of sanding then followed. I painted it with a surface primer. Probably too many layers, then a topcoat with DEFINATELY t0o many layers. The result a passingly good prop that livens up my living room and makes a talking point. I am currently making another on a private commission.

ooer missus
Just the tip
Full length staff
Full Length

 

 

Thanks for reading, as always if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Most projects are considered and it doesn’t hurt to ask. Just remember that the logistics of shipping or size may be enough to make it unfeasable.